The international standard for IT service management (ITSM), known as ISO 20000, was created by ISO and ICE. The majority of states throughout the world recognize ISO 20000 because it was adopted as an international standard by a majority of member nations.
The standard outlines a series of management procedures intended to help businesses offer IT services with greater effectiveness. The methodology and structure provided by ISO 20000 enable you to manage overall ITSM while demonstrating that your business adheres to best practices, which will enhance the quality of the IT service delivery. And ISO 20000 applies to businesses of any size and in any sector. The completion of the ISO 20000 certification audit does not imply that everything has been finished. Following the certification audit’s confirmation that the SMS complies with ISO 20000, sustaining the SMS necessitates several tasks. These activities are very important because the SMS’s effectiveness depends on them.
Therefore, your SMS complies with the standards of the requirement. However, the following actions will guarantee that the SMS adds value to the organization and continues to do so.
- Run the SMS – Sure, the requirement to run, i.e., operate the SMS is nothing new, but it has seen many firms that have implemented ISO 20000 fall back into old practices. When an organization implements the SMS, the ISO 20000 documents and implementation procedures, identify roles & duties and generate the relevant records. So, implement those guidelines every day and in all activities.
- Measure/monitor – Apart from the fact that the standard compels businesses to perform the measures, many operational tasks and customer commitments necessitate regular measurements and constant monitoring. Consider the Service Level Agreement (SLA) signed with the customer. Typically, service availability or service capacity parameters are stated in such an agreement, as is the time to handle incidents. To avoid penalties (as stipulated in the agreement), measurements and monitoring are required. Furthermore, measuring is one of the pillars of development.
- Manage suppliers – Organizations will rarely be able to achieve everything on their own. That is, a supplier (or third party) is required. However, keep in mind that their performance is visible to the customers. And you are accountable for it (from the perspective of the customers). As a result, it’s in your best interests to keep your suppliers under control (as the ISO 20000 standard requires).
- Maintain customer satisfaction – The major goal of ISO 20000 implementation is to keep the consumers happy. As a result, it must keep track of the performance. Fortunately, there are numerous opportunities to do so within the scope of the SMS:
- carrying out customer satisfaction surveys
- Obtaining feedback via Business Relationships and Service Level Management
- Actively responding to customer complaints
- Get users’ feedback
- Improve – Everything can generally be improved. The performance of your SMS is the same. You receive one of the inputs from the previously mentioned monitoring and measurement. An excellent input for starting improvement projects is customer feedback, which doesn’t necessarily have to be a complaint or a compliment. The staff members are also a great resource because they are always in contact with your products and clients. Improvements could be made to the documentation, procedures, tools, etc.
- Internal audit – The internal audit will let you know where you stand in addition to being required by the standard. If carried out objectively, it could be very beneficial to identify what fails to satisfy the standards of the standard or what is compliant but could be improved.
- Perform Management Review – One of the most significant actions is this. This action takes careful planning and involves the senior management. Major choices, such as approving the budget or altering the SMS’s scope, will be decided once you’ve convened a meeting with them.
- Training and awareness – You added new procedures and roles by adopting the SMS. Your employees must be trained by these changes to keep the SMS operational. Once they have completed the ISO 20000 awareness training, you must communicate with them regularly regarding the SMS’s performance and achievement of the targets. The people involved in the SMS must be informed of the SMS’s purpose, performance, and roles. This is how you “get them on board.”