Ophthalmic Devices Industry Overview
The global ophthalmic devices market size was valued at USD 5.0 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.0% from 2022 to 2030.
The market growth can be attributed to the rising prevalence of optical disorders such as glaucoma, cataract, diabetic retinopathy, and vitreo retinal disorders, coupled with technological advancements in ophthalmic surgical as well as diagnostic instruments required for these target applications. Improved government initiatives to increase awareness related to visual impairment is further anticipated to widen the base for the market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Ophthalmic Devices Market
The growing geriatric population is increasing the demand for ophthalmic devices, as they are more susceptible to age-related ophthalmic disorders. According to the National Institute on Aging (NIA), the geriatric population is expected to reach 72 million by 2030. The increasing prevalence of diabetes and the incidence of diabetes-related blindness are predicted to fuel the market growth. According to the World Health Organization, nearly 422 million people worldwide have diabetes, and the majority are living in low- and middle-income countries.
Increased screen time due to the lockdown measures in the COVID-19 pandemic has been associated with the onset and progression of various eye diseases, thus driving the demand for eye examinations. In June 2020, Johnson & Johnson Vision donated USD 320 K to provide eye care to Covid 19 impacted patients. The organization conducted this donation to the Optometry Cares unit of the American Optometric Association (AOA) Foundation and the American Academy of Optometry Foundation (AAOF).
Technological advancements have enabled accurate diagnosis and improved treatment of ophthalmic disorders. Advancements in medications, diagnostic devices, laser technology, and surgical techniques, have enabled improved handling of cataract & macular degeneration, glaucoma, and dry eye disease. Minimally invasive surgeries, such as LASIK surgery, multi-wavelength diabetic retinopathy treatment, ultrasound phacoemulsification, and femtosecond laser surgery are expected to increase the usage of ophthalmic devices. These surgeries are accompanied by better patient outcomes and faster recovery rates.
Many organizations have conducted campaigns and programs to raise awareness for eye health and vision care among the general public, optometrists, and ophthalmologists for the diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic problems. Additionally, several suppliers also offer hands-on training for ophthalmologists and technicians on how to use various ophthalmic equipment through courses, tutorials, and workshops. Such initiatives help to increase awareness of eye diseases and the availability of diagnostic equipment. Nonetheless, constraints such as the high cost of ophthalmic equipment in developing countries and a scarcity of skilled ophthalmologists may limit the market growth.
Browse through Grand View Research's Medical Devices Industry Research Reports.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Market – The global diabetic retinopathy market size was valued at USD 6.6 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.4% from 2022 to 2030. The rising prevalence of diabetes, growing geriatric population, and increasing prevalence of blindness due to diabetes are among the major factors anticipated to boost market growth over the forecast period.
- Optical Coherence Tomography Market – The global optical coherence tomography market size was valued at USD 1.47 billion in 2021 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.41% from 2022 to 2030. Constant innovation and development of newer technologies, higher demand from new biomedical application areas such as drug delivery, rising demand for early diagnosis of disease, and rising prevalence of eye disorders, are expected to drive the industry growth.
Ophthalmic Devices Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global ophthalmic devices market based on product, application, end use and region
Ophthalmic Devices Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Ophthalmic A-Scan Ultrasound
- Ophthalmic B-Scan Ultrasound
- Ophthalmic Ultrasound Biomicroscopes
- Ophthalmic Pachymeters
- Slit Lamps
- Wavefront Aberrometers
- Optical Biometry Systems
- Corneal Topography Systems
- Specular Microscopes
Ophthalmic Devices Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Vitreo retinal disorders
- Refractor Disorders
Ophthalmic Devices End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Hospitals and Eye Clinics
- Academic and Research Laboratory
Ophthalmic Devices Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- January 2022: Alcon acquired Ivantis, a company that manufactures Hydrus Microstent, Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) device designed to lower eye pressure for open-angle glaucoma patients in connection with cataract surgery.
- October 2021: Dr. Agarwal’s eye facilities merged with Aditya Jyot Eye Hospital, improving the latter’s market footprint within India and across the globe. Moreover, several eye clinics are now coming up with separate diagnostic departments, which in turn, is boosting the adoption of ophthalmic devices.
- August 2021: Abbott's latest OCT imaging platform, driven by the Ultreon Software, has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- August 2019: Nidek launched Mirante Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope. It is a multimodal fundus imaging device, that combines high-resolution SLO (Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy) and OCT imaging with ultra-wide field imaging properties.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global ophthalmic devices market include
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Care
- Alcon Vision LLC
- Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
- Bausch & Lomb Incorporated
- Essilor International S.A
- Ziemer Ophthalmic Systems Ltd
- Nidek Co. Ltd
- TOPCON Corporation
- Haag-Streit Group
Order a free sample PDF of the Ophthalmic Devices Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519