The world famous Amazon stands tall with its huge industry disruptions and technological innovations!
Given the attractive spectrum of services it offers, Amazon is on the dream list of so many aspirants. Though, you must be surprised to know that only 2% of applicants applying at Amazon pass its interview round.
The most obvious reason behind this is it’s tough coding interview round. To face Amazon’s coding challenge and Amazon coding questions; all you need is practice and the right strategy.
Without this, leaving other aspirants behind would certainly be an uphill climb!
Hence, to help you pass the coding interview at Amazon, we have come up with this guide. Here, you will get the detailing of the type of coding questions asked in the Amazon interview alongside some useful tips on cracking them.
Let’s get started!
Amazon Coding Assessment
Before knowing about the type of Amazon coding questions, you should know about the Amazon coding round and how it looks like?
Depending on the role you have applied for, the coding assessment will either happen online or in person. Though, for most of the developers role, it happens remotely.
This round basically revolves around solving one to two Amazon coding interview questions in a given time frame. This will usually happen on a coding interview platform or on the Google docs.
The hiring manager will evaluate your problem solving approach and how you arrive at the solution of a particular problem.
If you clear this round, then the interviewer will call you for the on-site interview at the company.
Amazon Coding Interview Question Types
Every candidate preparing hard for the coding interview wants to know what kind of Amazon coding questions are being asked.
Well, the uncertainty would always be there but the noteworthy thing here is that basic coding questions are generally centered around the concept of data structures and algorithms. Though the company never provides the bank of questions it will be asking from the candidates, it generally provides certain interview guidelines.
From arrays to strings to binary trees to hashing, you would be asked certain coding topics as your Amazon test questions.
Hence, to give you a better sneak peek and to prepare you in advance, we have compiled the list of most commonly asked Amazon coding questions alongside the topics from where these questions will be asked:
Amazon Coding Questions Based on Arrays
Arrays is an essential data structure topic which you can’t miss while preparing for your Amazon coding interview. Some of the common questions asked in an Array interview are:
- Given an array of N size
Task: Perform the operation of searching, inserting and deleting the elements while completing the function. Also, all functions should include the boolean value.
- Given A array of N size
Task: print all the elements of A in the alternate order.
- Write the code in order to find the minimum and maximum number of elements in a given array.
- Sorted array of size N is given to you. You have to delete all the duplicate elements in a given array.
- You are given an array of all positive integers. You have to find the leaders in an array. ( the element would be a leader if it is equal to or greater than all the array elements on its right)
- You are given an array of integers. Find inversion counts that determine how far your array is different from being sorted.
- An array of size N is given where all the elements in an array are distinct. Find the pairs in an array that are sorted and distinct. Find the pairs in an array which add up to the number of elements K.
Amazon Coding Interview Questions Based on String
Strings are a data type which is used to represent other text structures. Here, are some commonly asked Amazon coding interview questions that are related to string:
- Check if a given string is palindrome or not.
- The two strings named a and b are given. These strings consist of lowercase characters. Write code to check if a given string is arranged with each other or not.
- String str contains only sole lower case alphabets. Sort it in the descending order.
- S1 and S2 are two strings. Write a program to merge them. Merge the first character with the second and then keep going.
- String S is given to you. Reverse it without reversing the individual words
Coding Questions related to Sorting
Sorting is also another crucial method which is asked in coding interviews by the companies.
- A  is a binary array of N size. Sort it in the ascending order.
- N integer of list arr is given to you. Sort array using bubble sort algorithms.
- A1 , A2 are two integers of N and M size. Sort the first array with all relative positions which are the same as the elements of the second array.
- An array of the size n integer x. Find triplets in an array which add to integer x.
Amazon Coding Question on Hashing
Coding rounds at Amazon also include hashing related questions. The common Amazon test questions related to hashing are discussed as below:
- Given N *N of the matrix M. write program to find count of distinct elements which are common to all the rows in a matrix.
- Two arrays A, B are of equal size n. You have to find if both arrays are equal or not.
- An array of N integers is given to you. Find its non-repeating element
- An array N has positive numbers. Write code to find its largest subsequences that contain elements in a fibonacci series.
- In an array of strings, write code to return a group of strings which are anagrams.
Though Amazon coding interviews are hard nuts to crack, keeping in mind the kind of Amazon coding questions asked would help keep your preparation easier.
We hope that this guide is of great help to prepare for your coding interviews!